Monday, November 16, 2009

The Gravelmaster 2000

My old Litespeed Siena has gone through a couple transformations over the years. I raced it for several seasons until I snapped the handlebars at the Race for Alex, and that gave me an excuse to get the Cervelo. After that, I converted the Litespeed to a single speed, and now I put some new heavy duty Continental Contact 28 mm tires on it. My plan for the next couple of months is to ride around on the bad roads in northeast Ohio doing long steady base miles, and then in the spring, I'll take it on Jim's Paris-Roubaix ride.


I took it out today for a test around East Branch Reservoir near Middlefield. (Map with pictures.) I tried pretty hard to get a puncture. First, I rode the gravel utility drive between 322 and the southern end of the park. That's got a pretty good surface with only a few rough patches. I made sure to roll through the loose gravel.

Then, I took the farm road that connects 608 to Hale Road (pictured at left). It has some chunks of new gravel--the big chunks that are almost guaranteed to cause a puncture. I rolled over it with no problem. After that, I was pretty confident in the tires, and looped around Durkee and Princeton Roads.

Since I took four gravel road sections, of course, I started to compare them. I started thinking up some criteria for rating the roads with 0-5 stars (ripped off directly from the ASO's Paris-Roubaix cobble ratings). The number of stars would indicate how hard it is to ride fast. New pavement would be 0, a 5 means you have to constantly be adjusting your line to maintain speed. The road can't be so bad, though, that you can never build momentum or have to stop to keep the wheels intact.

For these roads:
  • Durkee/Hale West of 608 ***
  • Durkee East *
  • Princeton *
  • Pioneer *
  • East Branch Utility Road *

2 comments:

Jim said...

Interesting concept. I will enlist you in my never ending search for new "crap" roads.
Personally, I thought c acouple of roads we used were tougher than Durkee but I haven't been on it lately.
You will ride the Roubaix Ride on a single speed? Should be fun!

Kevin Kimmich said...

Hopefully I can find some new gems. Do you have the list of roads from last year? I'll build up a list and put it all on google maps.

Funny you mention single speed "fun". About midway during the ride yesterday, I decided to reinstall the shifters.

I built up the SS to see what the craze was all about. There's an elegance to it that I can appreciate when riding around town, but out on the hills, it's not so great.

I'm amazed by the people who ride the SS setup at 'cross races. Ouch.

Post a Comment