Friday, May 14, 2010

this has all happened before

I made it up to Leroy for the first TT of the year. The weather was nice and warm and the road was dry, but there was a 10-15 mph wind out of the SSW.

I was looking forward to testing out the new Reynolds wheels on the Leroy course. Also, I am feeling like my fitness is steadily improving, so I felt like I could get a good time, so my only plan was to go all out from start to finish.

I was fixated on the power meter through the whole ride. I pushed a big gear, and just kept trying to keep the power reading around 300-350W. The outbound leg was a total struggle in the wind. When I got to the hill, I was feeling pretty good, so I ignored my pacing and pushed a little too hard, cracked a little bit, then had to back off on the second half of the climb.

I didn't really get back up to full gas until a few hundred meters after the turn. Then I wasn't really able to drill it over the last mile.

Once I got home, I went back to my 2009 training log to check my time. It was exactly the same as last year's edition--down to the second.

I felt like I had a lot left in the tank last night, so hopefully with some better pacing next week, I'll pick up a few more seconds.

1 comment:

Jim said...

And that, my friend, is the entire purpose for the event. Learn what you can, or can not, do so that when you enter a race that matters (costs you money OR pays you money), you know what will work. Plus, you know that you can suffer!

Post a Comment