Thursday, November 4, 2010

maintenance mode

I went down to Brett's Chagrin CX race on Saturday. He's managed to create a really nice tradition. The course is one of my favorites, and the atmosphere is fantastic. This year, I finally wore a costume--my old tuxedo--which I hoped would be completely destroyed by the end of the race, but in spite of the massive mud puddle in the course on the entry into the woods, scraping through tree branches, and bouncing off an occasional tree, it looked about the same after the race as it did before the start. I felt great, but I ended up racing pretty slow to avoid passing out from overheating.

I've switched over into my maintenance riding mode for now through Christmas. So I'm riding a little, running a little, and lifting more. I haven't really made any adjustment to my diet, so I was pretty surprised to drop some weight with a lot less energy burned. Weird. For example, in August, I burned around 22,000 kJoules, and lost no weight, but in October I burned only around 8,000 kJoules but I lost 5 pounds. That seems to defy all logic, so it's interesting. We'll see if the trend continues, and then maybe I'll be able to draw some conclusion about it.

4 comments:

Jim said...

You made me go back and look. August was my high at 28000 kJ with 15000 in October. I was surprised it was that high to be honest. Good luck with the dieting and come ride red Flannel with us on Sunday.

Kevin Kimmich said...

wow! 28,000 is a lot--how many hours? I hardly rode in October--maybe twice a week for most of the month and no ride over 30 miles.

Jim said...

Had to look again! 52 hours and just under 1000 miles. October was 30 hours and just over 500 miles.

Kevin Kimmich said...

That's a big month of riding. I did 553 miles/35 hours in August. I actually did a little more in July. October is down to a paltry 11 hours.

Post a Comment