Thursday, September 10, 2009

Experiments

For the past few weeks, I've been experimenting with the bike to try to get a more aerodynamic position that I can use next season. I've tried extended stem lengths and moving the saddle around to get as low as possible without being uncomfortable.

At the extreme position, with the saddle all the way back, there is a noticable difference. That allows me to fold over as low as I can go without constricting my breathing. Surprisingly, it is reasonably comfortable. Unfortunately, it puts all my weight over the rear wheel, and the handling characteristics of the bike are poor--more like a unicycle than a bike. Descending and cornering are frightening at high speed.

After a few training rides this week before the TT, I settled on a compromise position that was more aerodynamic than my "original" setup, but not extreme. I also ordered a 11-23 cassette, which showed up while I was loading the bike in the car for the trip to Leroy.

During my warmup, I felt pretty good. The weather conditions seemed favorable for fast times, minimal wind and relatively cool, maybe a little humid.

I had a good start, and slowly picked up the pace. One of my goals for this week was to stay in my aero position throughout the ride. After seeing the race photos from last week, I realized I have a tendency to sit up a little when I'm pushing hard, so I concentrated on keeping my arms in and chest down as much as possible.

Even though I was in a more aero position this week, it definitely didn't feel any easier to ride fast. I struggled my way to the corner and swung onto the hill. Last week, I cooked myself on the climb, so I kept the pace manageable to the top. The 11-23 did the job and I cranked up the hill at consistent RPMs. I felt pretty fresh at the turn, and started down the hill hoping to finish strong.

I was fighting the pedals all the way to the finish. I'd crank the power up toward 400W, but couldn't sustain it for long.

I averaged exactly 300W again this week, which translated into a slower time this week than last.

I recorded the start and finish area with my video camera (I'll post the pictures later). My position looks more aerodynamic, although who knows if it really is. When my arms are forward with a longer stem, it's easier to maintain my flat back position, but more difficult to pull on the bars.

So next week, I'll fall back to my original stem length, and I'll also try spinning at about 105 rpm instead of my usual 90. I'll also tape over my power reading and "use the force" for pacing.

No comments:

Post a Comment