Thursday, September 24, 2009

New Pavement

I got out on the road this afternoon to hit some of the short steep climbs that criss-cross Auburn Road in Munson. Since this upcoming weekend is the second race in the BACX series, I didn't want to shred my legs, so I kept it pretty brief. I hit two of the rollers on Sherman Road, then took Rockhaven over to Cedar Road.

I'm not sure if the Cedar Road in Geauga County ever connected with Cedar Road on the west side of the Valley. The road sort of fades in and out of existence. At Rockhaven, Cedar ends at the Rookery Park where the trail follows the old Interurban Railway. Back in the early 1900's there used to be a passenger railroad that ran to downtown Cleveland and as far east as Garrettsville.

Cedar Road from Rockhaven up to Auburn is a good climb for a training time trial. It climbs about 230 feet in 1 mile and gets up to a 13% grade at the steepest section. You're pretty likely to have the road to yourself. The road was just resurfaced this summer, and it's smooth as butter and still has that new road smell.

1 comment:

Ray Huang said...

I'll check out that climb on Cedar very soon. OK, might not be that soon.

Post a Comment