Saturday, October 24, 2009

Back to the Weight Room

I've had some good rides over the past couple of weeks. I guess I owe it to the cold/flu thing I had earlier in the month that forced me to take a break from the bike, and to getting back into the gym.

Through the winter and the early spring, I'm diligent about lifting, and my leg strength hits its peak. I basically run out of plates on the weight machine. But once the weather relents enough to ride several times a week, I find it's difficult to do both. A strenuous session in the weight room turns the next ride into a joke, likewise a challenging ride or race shreds my legs and makes lifting almost impossible.

The past couple of weeks, I've been riding less, and started lifting again in preparation for the big winter push. I haven't been killing it in the gym, just one set with moderate weights, but it seems like it woke my legs up again. I've been cranking a lot of power on training rides lately.

The acid test will be to do a TT up on the Leroy course, or hit Kirtland Chardon Road sometime, although, not any time soon, since it's October! 

No comments:

Post a Comment