Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bad Driver Olympics

I'm pretty sure some sort of bad driver contest is going on in Geauga county right now.

On Monday, I rode down to Burton on country roads. On Aquilla Road, I was riding along on the white line when I heard the rumble of a pickup truck coming up from behind. I instinctively hugged the shoulder, expecting a blow-by. Instead the driver gave me plenty of room, and eased off the throttle on the way past. Nice! I gave a little nod and a wave. Then a few seconds later, a Geauga Sheriff blew past me with about 1 foot of clearance. My instinct was to fly the bird. But, of course, I'm not that stupid.

On the return trip, I cut over to Route 6 on Grant Street to head to the north. I rolled up toward the stop sign. A Porsche Cayenne is heading squarely for me. I start swerving toward the curb to bunny hop to safety and see the woman driver with a cell phone in one hand and a cigarette poking out the open window in the other. She cuts the apex when making a left hand turn. She finally hears me shout out some nice driving advice, and swerves. Interesting. She could hear me, but couldn't see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment