Tuesday, February 16, 2010

megabonk

I've been skiing a lot lately. I'm also eating a lot to keep up with the energy demands, but since I'm trying to drop some weight, I'm not stuffing my face at every available opportunity. Apparently that's what I need to do!

I went skiing today at Girdled Road Reservation. I felt pretty good for the first few minutes, but then the engine sputtered and ran out of gas in the creek valley.

Bonking on the bike is pretty bad, but when it happens, you can muddle along at 12-13 mph until you get to a source of calories. On skate skis, it sucks. Walking pace on the skate skis is like a 20 mph effort on the bike. Uphill walking pace on the skis is more like a 80% time trial effort.

The 15 minute uphill trip back to the car felt like 2 hours and I stopped at least five times. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of m&m's and gatorade in the car. I went directly to the grocery store from the park. Every item with sugar or starch in it was screaming out to me from the shelves, and I could barely wait to make some pancakes for dinner.


1 comment:

Jim said...

Would taking the skis off help?

Post a Comment