Tuesday, February 2, 2010

tackle the tower plan

Tackle the Tower is coming up on Saturday. That usually marks the kick-off for my cycling season.

TTT is the most acutely painful event I've ever participated in. It's not like the grinding fatigue of a long, hilly road race, or the intense sustained effort of a time trial or a 5k foot race. TTT is an all out effort from about 10 seconds in and it doesn't relent until you get to the top. The worst part, though is the 5+ minutes of hyperventilating gives me a horrible hacking cough right after it's over at the same time I feel like I'm going to hurl from the effort. I think I'll try some sore throat spray before the start this year.

This year, I'd like to drop about 30-60 seconds off last year's time, which was 6:51 and equated to 384 Watts. 30 seconds is about a 10% improvement to 422 Watts. 60 seconds is 441 Watts.

I'm dividing the climb up in three segments: a sprint start for 5 seconds, max aerobic climb for 3 minutes, then anaerobic to the top. This is similar to my approach from last year, except I gradually ramped up the pace from the start. I think the sprint will rail my heart rate, but won't push me into the red. Once I hit the anaerobic part of the climb, I'll try to up the pace on every floor and actually sprint the last two.

2 comments:

Chris Nicula said...

The climb is definately all about power/weight, but pacing is the next most important aspect. It is super difficult to pace yourself, especially with little practice at these climbs. My plan last year was to check my HR monitor every couple floors, I never looked at it once nor could I have focused my vision if I tried.

A mistake in pacing will eliminate quickly any gains realized in higher power or lower weight and make it hard to detect (without some pacing measuring device).

As you can see I am worried about the pacing since I can no longer have any substantial affect on weight/power. It looks like I am going to be 2 lbs heavier than last year, no idea how my power output compares but expect it to be higher due to more off season work and getting stronger in 2009. Its going to be just as painful regardless of pacing, power, or weight and I am sure right after I will say once again:

'This is stupid, I am never doing this event again'

Kevin Kimmich said...

I am remembering more details from last year. I think the only chance I'll have to make up time will be at the start. I did a real conservative start last year. I might be able to pick up 10 seconds with a faster start. That's probably about it, though.

I remember trying to push the pace over the last 10 floors. I think I kept it up for 3 before returning to a sustainable pace. Then I tried to sprint the last two, but someone blocked me. That is, I used that as an excuse to not sprint because I was cooked.

Post a Comment