Thursday, August 12, 2010

humidity

This week I've been feeling the way cat food smells. The heat and humidity has been taking its toll. I skipped a hot and humid Westlake on Tuesday, but I ended up doing a training ride that kicked my butt anyway. I took the day off on Wednesday, and started to feel human again by the afternoon today, so I decided to head up to the TT.

During my warm-up, the air was so thick, that I practically needed a spoon to breathe. But after 20 minutes or so, I started to feel ok.

I followed my plan from last week: hold back on the outbound, then lift the pace over the last two miles. I did a very even effort on the first half of the course. I averaged 311 Watts, which felt pretty "easy" until I got to the turn around.

I had some trouble getting back on top of it on the downhill. and only averaged 315 Watts over the last two miles when I was hoping for more like 350, but I felt like my brain was melting, and I put in a strong finish even though my digestive system was about 1 second from going into full reverse.

I was a little slower than last week, but I think if we get some cooler weather, I still have a shot at a sub 20 minute time this season.

1 comment:

Jim said...

It was a tough night to try and figure out. Batke was slightly slower but used a lot less power to do it because of the disc. Several people had PR's and yet others just melted.
Hope it was worth riding!

Post a Comment