Saturday, August 7, 2010

a new road (to me)

Looking Toward the Arboretum from Chillicothe Road/Center Street in Mentor


Today was all about bikes. This morning, I went down to Solon with Dave and Chris to scout out the new venue for our 'cross race on October 17th. It should be a great course. It will have a run-up, a high speed descent, and a river crossing along with grass and gravel sections.

I would have ridden in the morning, but when I loaded the bike in the car, I noticed the rear tire was flat and there was a nice gash in the sidewall. No tires in the stockpile. Oh well.

I ended up riding in the afternoon. I decided to take some roads I haven't been on in ages, and I rode all over Kirtland Hills. I went up to Mentor and took Garfield Road South from Route 84. The last time I went on that road, probably 20 years ago, it just dead-ended. Now, it connects with the far west end Kirtland Chardon Road. That would make a nice entry point into a climb-fest training loop from Chardon, but instead of doing the KCR climbs, I decided to cruise over to Sperry to see how far along the bridge is. It's totally out. No way across yet.

After that, I looped around Little Mountain to Wisner. I almost rode the old wiped out section of Wisner over to Kirtland Chardon Hill, but it was too wrecked from horses. (It would be pretty cool to do a guerrilla cobble stone paving of that mile of bombed out road.)

I wrapped up the ride by doing the Mitchell's Mill climb up toward Auburn Road. Jim's going to do another hill climb TT there this year--it's going to be a lung burner!

3 comments:

ds said...

I love the Mitchell's Mill Climb. Would you use a TT or road bike for that?

Kevin Kimmich said...

I don't really know. The steep sections are pretty short, so someone who could stay in their aero position most of the time would probably have some advantage on a TT bike.

Jim said...

Well, I suppose it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Win or just not puke? Seriously, I really think the best option would be a road bike with Spinaccis or Jammer style clip-ons. Just my opinion based on nothing. I always found that you can get pretty good leverage with them. BTW, details will be out shortly.

Post a Comment