Thursday, May 21, 2009

Finally, no wind at Leroy!

I was feeling really flat all day, but was looking forward to the Leroy TT, so I loaded up the Element and drove up to the fire station in the afternoon. The wind was strong out of the south when I was out doing my warm up cruise around the course. I felt like I was riding through glue. 

In the parking lot as we were staging to do our timed runs, I spun the front wheel and noticed it was hitting the brake pad. I was able to adjust the brakes so the wheel spun through cleanly a few minutes before I was due to roll. That was a relief. Also, the wind had completely died down, so I'd be able to get a time that wasn't influenced by the direction and speed of the wind, so I started to feel pretty good and motivated.

I was aiming to shave some time off last week by picking up the pace in a few strategic spots on the course--on the second half of the climb, and just before the turn around. Otherwise, I followed the routine I established over the prior weeks. I keep the pace relatively easy from the start, and then gradually accelerate toward the corner.

I planned to take a little breather through the corner, then ramp up the power all the way through the climb. Like last week, I made it up the first part of the climb at good pace but wilted on the second part until the summit, where I managed a decent sprint. My oxygen starved brain managed to keep the legs going to the turn around.

I kept the pace up on the decent, though not as fast as I could go. So I eased off a little bit until the 2 miles to go mark, then I started to bang the pedals all the way through the finish. I shaved more time off last week and managed a 20:37. I'm aiming for sub 20 minutes next week.

Here's some stats:

First two miles: 369 Watts Average. 22.4 mph average. 25.5 max.
To top of climb: 332 Watts Average. 19 mph avg. 7.9 mph minimum speed (top of hill)
Back down the hill: 331 Watts average. 24.5 mph average.
Last two miles: 389 Watts average. 23.9 mph average, 29.9 max.

Total time 20:37, Avg. power 358 Watts. Average speed 22.4 mph.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice job Kevin. I was actually 9 seconds slower than the previous week, fatigued legs from Westlake and the training ride on Wednesday. My heart rate was sky high with a slower speed which means fatigue.
See ya tuesday.

Bill

Post a Comment