Monday, May 4, 2009

First Month Review

The first month of racing is over. I did three consecutive weekends of the Covered Bridge race. In review, there are some good lessons to take away from those.

In the second race, I was over my head. The pace was too high for me to stay in the field for long. The data from that race can be analyzed as a ceiling for my current fitness level. In the first and the third race, I was actually pretty comfortable, even with the sprints over the two little hills. That's good news, considering I still weigh 223 pounds. By mid season, I'll be around 200 pounds, so my power per kg will increase by another 10%.

My descending skills are non-existent and that prevented me from finishing with the field in the first and third races. I got the hang of the curvy downhill section before the bridge by the last race of the series, but never really mastered the off camber sweeper. I need to spend a lot more time polishing those skills throughout this season, then next year, I need to work on that early in the year. So I'll add a skills day to my training each week, and do that on a recovery ride. The MidOhio race will call on those skills, and that's coming up soon.

I need to add some 1x1 intervals to the training mix, and 15 sec microinterval sessions. So a typical mix of workouts during the week will be.

  • Saturday: 1x1, 8 reps, 3 sets, or 15 sec (1 hour to 90 mins)
  • Sunday: Long ride (2-3 hours)
  • Monday: Skills (1 hour)
  • Tuesday: Westlake (1-2 hours)
  • Wednesday: Rest
  • Thursday: Leroy TT (2 hours)
  • Friday: Rest

So a total amount of training for a week would be 7-10 at the peak, with high intensity. On race weeks, I'll omit or shorten rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment