Thursday, July 2, 2009

I Need to See (that I'm old) to Ride

I've been dragging ass for a couple of weeks. I attributed it to riding, so I took a rest week. Usually after a couple of days of rest, I feel great, but I was still groggy. Maybe allergies? Took a little extra allergy stuff. Still groggy. Finally, using deductive logic that would make Sherlock Holmes or Dr. House proud, I realized my eyeglasses prescription was way out of date and eyestrain feels like a light case of the flu, so I scheduled an appointment and went in for my exam yesterday.

I explained my symptoms to Dr. Patton, so he put me though the paces with the magic viewer machine. "Is 3 or 4 better?", "3", "4 or 5", "5", etc... Finally, he sat down and gave me the diagnosis.

My prescrtipion is the same, and my vision isn't really that bad. The problem is I'm old (pushing 40) and focusing up close on the computer screen tires out my peepers. I've been working longer hours than I have for a while staring at the computer, so it started to bug me. The solution, a bigger monitor about 2 feet from my face and not wearing glasses while I work.

Even though Ian just told me about zennioptical.com where he got two pairs of glasses for like $12, my midlife diagnosis prompted me to cough up the benjamins for new glasses and a nice pair of prescription cycling sun glasses with carbon fiber frames. Maybe a convertible sports car and a twenty somthing girlfriend are in my immediate future.

No comments:

Post a Comment