Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Westlake #9

I went for a ride Monday and felt pretty strong, and I felt pretty good today, so I decided to head out to Westlake to race for the sixth time in a week.

When I got there a new rider was parked in my normal spot. Not a big deal, but it's only happened a couple times in the past three seasons, and I'm a little rain-man-like when it comes to my pre-race ritual.

I go through my normal bike prep. Air in the tires, check the wheels. My rear brake feels sticky. Probably a bad cable. As I'm riding through the lot, my computer is all wonky. The reported speed hops all over the place. Oh well, it's probably not gonna be a banner night for me.

We get started. I'm about 6th wheel. On the first lap, Matt Weeks whips up the speed for the whole lap. Jeez! My computer wasn't working, but it felt like 30 mph. Ok, I survived. Next Brian Batke gets on the front and does the same thing. No rest for the wicked. I'm still fine, though. Next, somebody in a Lake Effect jersey attacks. I think it's Matt again. The field picks up the pace. I'm feeling good enough that I contemplate getting on the front to shut the gap down, but I just want to survive.

Some other riders who had been working start pouring through the field like a waterfall. I get caught behind, and slide back. #!@#$%!. Ok, so I'll hang out on the back for a while and try to move forward later.

Somebody opened the throttle again for a whole 30 mph lap. I have to get out of the saddle a couple of times just to close gaps.

Gaak. 40 minutes of that was too much for me and a bunch of other riders who slipped off the back on Ranney Parkway. I wore the HR monitor, so I can see I averaged 180 bpm on that lap. Theoretically, I should be able to handle that, but not today.

The main difference between a Cat IV race, or the Westlake "B" race and the "A" race is that the speed is just unrelenting. In a Cat IV race, someone might get on the front and pour it on for a minute or two, but then there will be a rest before the next big effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment