Thursday, June 25, 2009

Beat the Rain, But not the Heat

I went up to Leroy a couple of hours early today to take a shot at the TT course before any of the big thunderstorms that were popping up around Cleveland hit the course.

I was hoping to beat my time from last week by a few seconds, but hopes for that faded as I rode around the course for my warm up. Though the wind was predominately from the west, so there was a big tailwind on the outbound leg, it was also whipping around in different directions on the course, probably a sign that a storm was coming. Also, it was hot touching about 90 degrees, like riding in an EZ bake oven, with the same disgusting results.

My HR was popping even when I was poking along at 15 mph during the warmup, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. I doused myself with water and took off on the course. Ouch. No power but the HR was climbing into the 170s. I kept it up to the turn around, and saw I was way off my pace from last week, and was really struggling in the heat.

I made it to about 2 miles to go and started to try to push hard, but couldn't muster any force, so I decided to shut it down and just roll home. Hopefully the weather will cooperate a little more next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment