Saturday, June 27, 2009

Scary Stuff

Driving while texting/emailing is pretty common. I've seen people texting while making their way around dead man's curve in Cleveland.

Here's an article that should make cyclists nervous: link

2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries caused by in-car cell phone use.

Cyclists and pedestrians, I would guess, are particularly threatened by driving while texting. Since you can't read with your peripheral vision (go ahead and try it), you need to look directly at the puny screen, and rely on your peripheral vision to drive. That works in a static driving condition, but will fail if something suddenly changes, like a pedestrian crossing the street, or a cyclist on the side of the road.

2 comments:

Chris Nicula said...

Watch the movie 7 lbs with Will Smith. It will really make you think twice about texting while driving.

Kevin Kimmich said...

I haven't seen that movie. I'll have to see if they have it on demand. That reminds me, I just noticed there's a VS HD channel on cable, now. That would be pretty cool to watch the Tour.

Post a Comment