Monday, June 1, 2009

Random Thoughts

My mind goes ends up in one of a few states when I'm out riding. During tough efforts it more or less switches off so time and space go by in a blur of breathing, sweating, and suffering, and occasionally doing something like counting pedal strokes. Sometimes, especially on longer rides through dull terrain, a song will pop into my head in full stereophonic fidelity like a biological iPod. Unfortunately, most of the time the music is annoying, like the free credit report dot com theme, or some 80s song like Uptown Girl. The least common state for my mind to occupy while I'm out on the bike is epiphany; where some previously opaque aspect of life turns crystal clear and obvious.

I was riding along Heath Road in Munson and a dude in a open-topped jeep drove by in the opposite lane. He had mirrored aviator shades, and had a cigarette dangling from his lip. I had one of those rare moments of clarity. People actually work at being cool. In just the few moments I saw the dude drive by, I could tell that he spent a considerable effort putting the whole bit together: attitude, car selection, smoking style, shades. When I was wondering if a varus wedge in my right shoe would help power transfer, he was deciding what shirt matches the interior of the jeep.

One of the things I probably like about cycling, but never really thought much about, is no matter how much effort goes into styling, that's forgotten once somebody makes you feel like you are going to asphyxiate and your heart is going to pop.


No comments:

Post a Comment