Monday, June 8, 2009

I'll take a burger with those fries

It was a good weekend of riding. Saturday, Chris and I rode down to Hiram via Burton. The town of Burton was hopping. We stopped for refueling on the trip home. The benches in front of the shops along the main drag through town were full of people enjoying the nice weather, and all the store fronts are occupied. It was a stark contrast with Chardon, where the square is a small business graveyard, and seems to be drifting toward a bad spot as the years go by.

The highlight of the trip was the ride up Derthick's Hill on Route 82, west of Hiram just before Route 44. It's a consistent grade to the top, about 8%. The climb was resurfaced, so the pavement was fresh, and baking in the sun, giving off that summer asphalt smell. I managed to keep up a good tempo for most of the climb, but wilted toward the top. The whole effort was only 2:41. I maintained solid power for about half that, then popped and limped to the turn.

The ride home was tiring due to the heat and wind. We kept up a good tempo on Rapids Road to Burton, but I was pretty cooked by the time we climbed to Burton Square. I was completely done by the time we rolled into Chardon via the bike path. It was a 51 mile trip. I stayed fresh for about 2 hours, which isn't surprising since that's a more typical duration for my training trips.

It seemed like we were riding a hard tempo the whole trip, every time I looked down at the bike computer, the speed was well over 20 mph. But by the time we got home, the average was only 18.4.

I did an easy ride on Sunday, out Sherman, then up to the Kirtland Chardon Road climb. I was pretty fatigued, so didn't try to get a good time up the climb, then I just rode easy tempo home. On the last little climb up to South Street, somebody threw stuff at me out their car window. Initially, I had no idea what it was.

Even though I was tired, the adrenaline got flowing. My brain went through a handful of plans. First, I thought I should get the license plate number and report it, but it was out of range too quickly for me to see. Then, I was pissed and wanted to throw something at the car, but only had a water bottle available. Finally, I got out of the saddle and sprinted since the light was red. I was looking forward to the sudden change on the passenger's face from hilarity to meek fear. Unfortunately the candy ass managed to turn right and flee before I could get near the car. I eventually figured out it was only some McDonald's fries that were thrown. Does that qualify as assault? Probably only if you eat them.

This kind of crap is pretty rare, thankfully. This season, I've had three redneck run-ins in spite of riding quite a bit at higher traffic hours. Last season, though, I only had one, and there have been years where I had zero.

The car was quite distinctive. It was a red Pontiac minivan with several stickers on the back, including a prominent #3 sticker in the center of the rear window. I am deciding between being a good citizen and filing a police report, or a very direct confrontation, or just letting it go. I've seen the car before, so finding it should be easy. I also like the idea of suddenly turning the tables on someone who is tough when they are in a metal box, but change their tune when they are confronted face to face.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Mike Roe and I were "bothered" by a dumb a-- last Friday. He came by us, on Rt 86 about 6" off my knuckles and doing about 60 mph. He apparently didn't like what I yelled at him and stopped. I lose all sense of rational at times like this because it is impossible to believe that anyone can be so stupid. Anyway, the high-light was Mike reminding him that he was driving a marked truck. It was for a company called "Add a Deck", complete with a phone number. I immeadiately called the Sherriff with a report. I was told they contacted him and reminded him that cyclists DO have the RIGHT to use the road.
Remember "Add a Deck" when you are riding. A real jack ass.

Kevin Kimmich said...

That story is more incentive to file a report; even though I don't have enough details for the police to take action, someone else that's harassed by the same driver might. Even though they do it on the TV cop shows all the time, it's pretty hard to get a license number off a moving vehicle!

I don't know what the deal is with Route 86, I've had some scary moments on that road this season. Some guy in a sedan blew past me and flicked me off. I was basically hugging the white line and there was no traffic coming the other direction, so the guy was irritated to have to turn his steering wheel slightly?

I usually just try to ignore this kind of stuff, it's like a cost of doing business, but really, why should I ignore it? If someone came up to me in the grocery store and insulted me, or threw something at me, I'd respond immediately. Although, on the other hand, when I have managed to chase down a driver at a stop light or stop sign and read him the riot act, I hardly felt better for my effort.

Post a Comment