Friday, March 12, 2010

a whole week!

Punderson Lake: 65 Degree Day!

I was out on the bike all week, and yesterday I wore shorts and a short sleeve jersey and did an easy ride from Chardon down to Punderson State Park. The road is still grimy from salt and cinders (did you know cinders are a byproduct of coal burned in power plants?) and I hit a couple mega-floods of melt water, but the snow is all but gone.

Last year, Chris and I scouted Punderson as a possible course for some future race. The park was pretty willing to listen to a plan last summer, but it was going to be tricky to manage the traffic, so we weren't able to move ahead. I rode down there yesterday to see what it's like in the early spring.

There were actually quite a few people walking and jogging. Traffic on the park roads was light. Nobody passed me in the 20 minutes or so I was there, but there were a few cars parked in lots. The most interesting section of the roads, with an ascent and a tricky sweeping turn on a downhill, is not plowed over the winter, but it would probably be pretty easy to get that opened up for a race.

Hopefully, after the Chippewa Creek Road Race, we'll have a little more experience in managing the traffic on a park road course and see a way to manage a race at Punderson someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment