Sunday, April 18, 2010

brrrrrr

When I woke up this morning, it was drizzling but I could see some clear patches of sky, and the radar was clear, so I decided to make the trip down to the Covered Bridge course for my first race of the 2010 season. I still wasn't 100% committed to the idea of racing while I was driving there. The rain never got past drizzle though, and it looked like it could clear up at any moment, so I kept going.

The temperature was about 40 degrees, but felt much colder. I was freezing when I pinned the numbers on and got dressed. I wore leg warmers, and a Craft base layer and long sleeve jersey. I took a spin to see how I felt. Not bad, but not great either, so I had no idea how I'd fare in the race.

When we rolled off for the start, the rain turned more persistent. It was a light drizzle. I decided if it poured, I'd just call it a day.

I stayed up near the front on the first two laps. The pace was quite comfortable. On the third lap, I felt pretty crappy. I was probably overheating in spite of the cold and wet weather. An attack went off the front, and I got gapped, and didn't have the motivation to chase. I ended up doing another two laps before my feet froze and I packed it in.

That's the coldest I've been on a bike. I shivered for the first 30 minutes of my drive back home even with the heater on full blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment