Sunday, April 4, 2010

kirtland chardon road

Even though yesterday's ride was long, it wasn't too intense, so I felt great today and decided to finally go and do a timed ride up Kirtland-Chardon Road hill.

I did a quick loop out Mitchell's Mill and through the Arboretum, then over to Wisner Road and Kirtland Chardon.

I decided to try a "panic-stop" to test the stopping power of my new carbon wheels and brake pads on the bridge at the base of the Kirtland Chardon hill. Yow! Compared to an aluminum brake surface, at best, that was a gradual stop. But, on the bright side, I doubt I could lock up the wheels from 40 mph if I tried.

The hill is a stair step climb. The steepest part of the climb is right at the start, then it transitions to a long 5% section. Usually, I try to start off slow, then accelerate on the flatter part, but today, I just went for it from the bottom and didn't worry about pacing myself. So, it's not such a surprise that I cracked a little bit near the top of the climb, but once I recovered a bit, I managed to get out of the saddle and do something resembling a sprint.

In spite of the headwind, I managed an 8:43, which isn't too bad for me, but is almost a minute slower than my best time last year. Paradoxically, I felt pretty strong on the steep sections, but was really struggling on the flatter parts of the climb. I'd like to get a personal best time on the climb this year. I'll be happy if I get close to 7 minutes.

3 comments:

Jim said...

I have to ask, why would you use THAT road?? That route sucks whether you go fast or slow, it just hurts longer. I have NEVER ridden that hill and had a good time going up. Worst, IMO, is the steep part at the bottom. Go into oxygen debt and then try to hang on!

Kevin Kimmich said...

I ride up KCR pretty frequently, so I usually end up timing it.

But, I'd like to find a hill that's more of a constant grade and is long enough to do a test that's around 5 minutes. I guess Old Mill fits that description.

another problem with KCR for fitness testing is that it's exposed to the wind, especially that flattish section, so my times up there are pretty variable.

Jim said...

I always used Mitchells Mills from Wisner to Mentor Rd. It climbs the same ridge as KCR and is a bit like stairs but not as abrupt. It is almost exactly 2 miles bottom to top but would be a little shorter if the steep part at the bottom were eliminated. Primary advantages are no traffic and sheltered from the wind. Takes about 8 to 9 minutes to climb.
I might suggest the newly paved Hart Rd, in Montville, from Kile Rd to Clay St. NO traffic, new smooth pavement, and very defined uphill at a constant rate.

Post a Comment