Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rock Creek-Roubaix

I had a great weekend of riding. Saturday, I got out with Chris and we did a hilly loop from Chardon down to Painesville and back on the roads around Big Creek. Then Sunday, I did Jim Behrens's Rock Creek-Roubaix Ride.

Jeff Craft devised the route around Rock Creek on gravel roads, dirt roads, and some deteriorated pavement. Like last year, there were a whole lotta punctures due to the gravel roads. Over the winter, I bought a couple of 28 mm Continental Vectran touring tires for use on gravel, but last night I capriciously decided to go with 25 mm tires and Caffe Latex filled tubes. That didn't work out so well. I punctured on the second gravel section, then again a few minutes later, then the third and final time a few minutes later.

The Caffe Latex stuff didn't work at all, and just made a huge mess. The thing that solved my puncture problem was to let a big gap open so I could see any danger spots and steer around them. When I was following wheels too closely, I rolled over some pretty gnarly rocks and holes in the road.

The highlight of the ride was Way Road. It is literally a farm path; two tractor wheel ruts that cut between farm fields. Since it was so dry, we were able to haul ass. There were several deep ruts along the way, and some tree limbs were down across the path that I needed to bunny hop. Then finally, a happy farm dog ran out to play with us/chase us down the path.

It was a fun ride with a good group of people. Next weekend, I'll be starting my racing season.

1 comment:

Jim said...

The good news, on my end, is that I now have an upper body because of pumping up LOTS of tires. Changed your mind on the tires?? Bet that won't happen again! Glad you had a good time. Already planning for the next one.

Post a Comment