Saturday, August 29, 2009

Another day another climb

The autumnal weather was perfect today for a full throttle climb up Kirtland Chardon road.

The route I took is a local classic. Auburn Road North, down Mitchell's Mill, then through the Arboretum. Larry and Mark were flying down the road toward the north as I was working my way south into the wind up the hill.

Before I got all the way to Kirtland Chardon Road, I actually stopped and took in the 360 degree view. The leaves are still green, but the goldenrod is out in force, so it's only a matter of days until the leaves start dropping.

I headed down to Wisner collected my thoughts, then started up.

The climb is 1.3 miles, 403 feet, 6% average, 13% max. The pitch of the climb varies all the way up in stair step sections. The foot of the climb is steep, 10-12%, and deposits you on a long ramp at 5%. It can be tough to make that transition without losing momentum, a little tailwind today helped a little. After that, the stair steps alternate with actual flats or slight downhills, and you are practically done.

I did get a season best today 7:40 after an all out effort. I averaged 341 Watts, so hopefully I've managed to reverse my end-of-season slump.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Trying to become a climber or just trying out every hill in the area?

Post a Comment