Friday, August 21, 2009

single ring/new tires

Chris and I are heading up to Whiskey Island
tomorrow for some 'cross recon and to break-in some new gear. I'm trying out a new bike setup, new tires, and new shoes. Chris has a brand new 'cross machine.

I tuned up the bike and finished some modifications this week. The main change to the Redline this year is the single chainring setup. I removed the big chainring, front derailleur and replaced the
left STI shifter with an old school Shimano brake. Hopefully the 36
tooth chainring will give me t
he range I need.


I also just got my new Vittoria tires with
minimalist tread. I'm going to try out a couple different tire setups Saturday, including some 25 mm touring tires. Last year, the ground at the park was like concrete, and the pavement section out to the coast guard station is actually pretty long. I don't know,
though, how well slicks will handle sand, the rocks and the off camber sections so
I will give it a good test before I race. The Vittorias might be a good compromise.




No comments:

Post a Comment