Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Westlake #11--Done!

I went out to Westlake to close out my road racing season. The sauna conditions didn't treat me well and I found myself on the back of the field on one of the early fast laps. I boiled off the back on Ranney Pkwy along with several other riders after we went past the "B" race with a crack-the-whip acceleration. I chased for quite a while, surprised that I could ride 28 mph solo for so long, but the field was going even faster and gradually inched away. Instead of going deep into the pain cave, I just sat up.

The large "B" field zipped by, with TLE working to shut down a breakaway. I could sit in the "B" field for a workout, but chose to sit in my car for the ride home.

I was a little annoyed about getting dropped, but also realistic. I've done about as much as I could to improve my fitness this season but hit the point of diminishing returns about a month ago.

I learned a lot this season and should be able to build on it for next year. But first, a break! I'll find out what my non-cycling friends are up to these days.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Remember to hang on for one more week. We have the first ever Blair Rd hill climb a week from Thursday!

Kevin Kimmich said...

I'll be there! This week too.

Post a Comment