Thursday, August 27, 2009

Blair Road Climb TT

Jim had a good turnout for the Blair Road Hill climb considering it was drizzling on and off all day and was overcast when I drove up to Leroy. Bill, Tony, Matt, Kevin M and I decided to suffer for a couple of minutes on a really steep climb in southeast Lake County.

The hill is short and steep. It was about 160 feet of climbing in 0.4 miles. The average slope is about 8% and the max recorded by the iBike was 14%. The 10%+ section was about 0.15 miles (241 meters) long.

I have no illusions about my ability to get up a hill fast, so I wasn't aiming to get a decent time. Instead, I wanted to see what my average power would be for the duration of the effort.

My plan going in was to start off slow and accelerate all the way to the top, but the plan flew out the window with my first pedal stroke. I went too fast up the first part of the climb, then backed off too much to compensate. I ended up averaging 456 Watts up the hill. I'm pretty sure I can do better than that, so I'll have to give it another try. The course is marked with paint, so there will be plenty of opportunities to try it through the rest of the year.

The best time of the night was 1:44!






2 comments:

Jim said...

Time to build a dedicated hill climb bike??

Kevin Kimmich said...

For me, a good hill climb bike would have a motor.

Post a Comment