Sunday, August 9, 2009

Pure Misery

I was planning a trip to Orrville for the Milk Race today, but woke up this morning at 5:30 to heavy thunderstorms and the temperature was already at 72 and climbing. I decided to just go back to bed and go for a ride in the afternoon.

This was probably the toughest workout of the season for me so far; the weather gizmo was reading 88F/96% humidity when I rolled out the door, plus the wind was blowing hot about 10 mph out of the south.

I rolled out Bass Lake road into the wind at an easy pace. I was halfway through a big bottle after only five miles. In the direct sun, it was tough going and I could feel my skin heat up, but since it was later in the afternoon, there was plenty of shade from trees along the road, so it was tolerable.

I ended up doing a loop through Auburn Township, then cruised back up Auburn Road. With the tailwind, I was moving along easily over 20 mph and did the climbs easily at a pretty good pace.

Out of 100 minutes of ride time, I felt good for about 10 minutes. Of all the conditions I've been training in this year, today was the worst. That includes the 4 degree ski sessions in the winter, riding in the snow on the mountain bike, and racing at the Frosty Toes RR in February. You can fight the cold, but there is no escape from the heat.

1 comment:

Jim said...

I started the same way you did. Planned on Orrville but the rain made the decision for me. Rode about 45 with Kevin M and suffered for most of the ride. Legs were like wood the whole way. REALLY made me glad that I didn't TRY to race. It would have been ugly.

Post a Comment