Saturday, January 23, 2010

false spring


picture by Chris Nicula

I'm settling into the rhythm of training for the cycling season. Believe it or not, so is everyone else! The roads in southern Geauga county were relatively packed with cyclists. C'mon people, how am I supposed to get any advantage by suffering in the cold when everyone else is suffering in the cold.

The "warm" (36 degree) weather has made it a little easier to get some miles and hours in. We did a club ride out of Chagrin Falls today through southern Geauga County. It's funny how difficult a group ride seems after many weeks of solo training trips and cross country skiing. When you're in the red on a solo ride, you can slow down, but on a group ride, you need to keep pumping the pedals and breathe through your eyelids.

We rode out Music Street past the "Cathedral House" (east of auburn road, really cool), then looped down to Bell and took Auburn south to Winchell. LaDue reservoir was looking desolate with the ice and snow and gray skies. The traffic was sane throughout the ride.

The pace was pretty mellow throughout the ride, but going over the rolling hills out of my comfort zone took its toll on my legs. By the last couple of miles, as the pace went into pseudo-race mode, my quads were cooked.

Post ride, Chris and Al and I spent some drool time in Mountain Road Cycles newly renovated shop in Chagrin. A pair of new Zipp 404's were on display. Luckily, my ears were ringing from the cold wind, so I was able to resist their siren song.

No comments:

Post a Comment