Friday, January 29, 2010

"rest" week

Over the last few seasons,  it seems like I need to work on leg strength to be able to push myself hard enough to really stress my cardiovascular system.

It's interesting how my body adapts to lifting. I have to spend a couple of weeks muddling around with relatively low resistance on the leg press machine, then suddenly, I'll start ramping the resistance up in 12 pound increments so I have to abandon the leg press machine for the inclined leg press machine. I had a good weight lifting session on Monday--it seems like I'm done with the muddling phase and am starting to ramp up the resistance. This year, I'll keep it up through February.

As the weather warms up, I'll cut back on the weights and focus on cardio fitness. The first test of that fitness is next weekend at Tackle the Tower. I weigh about 1 pound less than last year, so any improvement in my time will be due to increased fitness.

In preparation for that test, after lifting on Monday, I took a break from workouts to do some DIY projects around the house. I'm finally upgrading my home office and am installing a click-lock hardwood floor. Easy right? Well, I live in a 100+ year old house, and even the simplest home repairs can turn into a massive project. This one was no exception. Hopefully I'll finish it up this weekend so I can get back into a normal schedule instead of tapping boards with a rubber mallet at 12:40am. All the crouching and standing at weird angles has kept me sore all week!

No comments:

Post a Comment