Sunday, January 10, 2010

multitudes

Went to Chapin today at about 1. I got the only available parking spot in the 306 lot. There were lots of people out enjoying the day. The snow was pretty fast, but I took my time warming up and skied over to the lodge at a nice easy pace.

The Hobart Road side of the hill was really crowded. I had to stop several times to wait for people to get up off the snow, or to maneuver around people who decided to have a conversation in the middle of the trail. It's pretty interesting to see the different types of people out there. I heard quite a few languages today. It's also pretty entertaining to see normal (non cycling obsessed) people in different states of exhaustion.

I stopped for some water in the lodge, which was packed floor to rafters with bodies. Sniffling, coughing bodies. I had a little burst of germ-phobia and got back out on the skis.

I worked my way around the side trails, which were also mobbed with people and motored back to the 306 side of the hill, which was less crowded. I did a couple laps around the road section before my knee started to gimp up. I decided to keep my powder dry for later in the week. Seems like a longer warm-up was good for my knee. Tomorrow when I go, I'll stay loaded up on advil and see if that keeps the pain in check.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yea, we left out of there about 1:15 because of all the people. Lots of people with little consideration or maybe just a lack of common sense.

Kevin Kimmich said...

It was a getting out of control on the hobart side of the park. I got stuck behind a couple of groups who were taking up the whole trail to have a conversation. They weren't paying much attention.

Post a Comment