Monday, January 18, 2010

out on the road

After a couple months of riding in cyclocross mud or mountain bike snow, I got out on the speedy Cervelo today. It's nice to feel power go directly into forward motion instead of squishing mud or snow.

I dropped the Element off at Rising Sun Auto (the best garage to take your japanese or german car) for work on the brakes, then went riding from there around Munson. The road is still coated in cinder dust and the shoulder is narrow in spots where snow is still piled up, so I stuck to the secondary roads and did some all out climbs of the short steep hills there.

Of course, the iBike battery flaked out in the 31 degree weather, so I had no power meter guidance. Instead, I just went as hard as I could so I either just made it to the top, or blew up hugely. I hit Butternut, then swung over to Sherman and drilled it over the rollers there.

It felt pretty good to be out on the road in spite of the gray sky, fog, and omnipresent crud on the road.

2 comments:

Jim said...

My hat is off to you. Way too cold for this sissy body.
How about those batteries??

Kevin Kimmich said...

I'm at the point in winter where the 30 degree weather feels "warm". The worst thing about riding right now is all the cinders on the road.

That battery thing is annoying. I hope they eventually fix that in a future version.

Post a Comment