Monday, April 13, 2009

Bike Maintenance

The chain on my Cervelo-R3 was overdue to be replaced. Since I got new wheels, and a new cassette last week, I finally got around to it today.

Swapping the chain every 1,000 miles is probably the smart thing to do instead of waiting for the chain to wear and damage the cassette. Going through a handful of chains every year is cheaper than going through a cassette or two every season.

I popped the wheels off the bike last night, and broke the old chain, then took the opportunity to clean the jockey wheels and the other formerly difficult to access parts.

I wasn't in the zen bike mechanic mode and rushed joining the new Shimano chain. I am spoiled from the Wipperman Connex link, and haven't used the magic chain tool for a couple of years. I gave one turn too many to the tool and ended up with a tight link. Shoot. I loosened it up, but I'm paranoid about breaking a chain out in the middle of nowhere, so I broke the chain again, and carefully pushed the second pin through in a new link.  The pin ended up off axis and bent the link. Argggh. I only had the one chain on hand so called it a night.

This morning I popped into MRC in Chardon and grabbed a couple of chains. I got home and even read the instructions for installing it. In full zen mode, I cut the chain to length, and installed it. No problems! It was a relief to get the bike working well again.


No comments:

Post a Comment