Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Another Windy Night in Leroy

This week, I shifted my Leroy TT workout to Wednesday night instead of Thursday. I do two efforts. The first effort I try to get my best time. The second effort, is more like a long interval than a TT. The race of truth always reveals something.

The wind was pretty strong out of the south east today, which meant it was a pretty tough slog on the outbound leg, and a fast return ride.

I used the waltzing technique mentioned in Eddy B's book throughout the effort. 1-2-3, 1-2-3, pushing harder on 1, then relaxing on 2 and 3, and alternating legs every cycle. Power output was higher than last week.  For the first leg of the course I was generally over 350W. I was under my target power at the turn on on the climb to the turn around. I don't understand why the power output drops on the climb. On a typical ride, it usually seems easier to hold higher power on a hill.

I kept it up on the return leg with a solid finish.

Still, the time was a stinking 21:30, less than 22 mph. I was riding my Easton wheels. The Shimano Dura Ace wheels are noticably faster.

The only way for me to gain time is to do it on the climb. That's what I'll have to try next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment