Thursday, April 23, 2009

Waltzing

I did the Leroy TT course two times today. The wind was out of the west, along the finishing stretch. I tried for a third, but was too tired. 

I knocked another 30 seconds off my time, but my average speed is still slower than I'd like. Hopefully I'll get up to about 25 mph by mid season.

I dusted off a technique I read about years ago in Eddie B's cycling book. I "waltzed" my pedaling stroke. 1-2-3, 1-2-3. On the count of 1, I pushed very hard, and on 2 and 3, took it easy, and alternated legs on each cycle of counts. It worked especially well when I was working into the wind.

My average speed on that section jumped from 23 mph on the first effort to 27 on the second effort.

I can't wait to try it out next week through the whole ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment