Tuesday, April 14, 2009

End of the Pre-Season

I spent last season recovering from my January 2, 2008 car accident. As I went through 2008 'cross season, I focused more on lifting than riding and started to get my leg back to normal strength.

My goals for 2009 are:
  • lose 1 pound a week, with a target weight of 205 pounds in the mid summer;
  • Average 400W for the Leroy TT course;
  • Do a 40 mph sprint. 
That level of fitness should translate to solid results. In the early season, I'll just be happy to finish in the field instead of struggling not to get dropped. I plan to be on form in July. I'd like to move up to mid pack at cyclocross late in the year.

I kicked off my 2009 training season on December 26, 2008. The plan was to ride a little bit, then ski as much as I could physically stand once we got enough snow.

In January, we had good skiing conditions through the whole month. I did 30 hours of cardio (mostly skiing), and lifted twice a week, focusing on leg and core exercises. I was limited by fatigue and sore joints. I rode the mountain bike in the snow about once a week, typically for 1-2 hours.

February marked the end of the ski season, and the first serious fitness test of the season. The Tackle The Tower stair climb was on February 7. I knocked 30 seconds off my 2007 time with a 6:51. That equated to 384 Watts. The month ended with the Frosty Toes RR in Croton. I missed the field split on the final lap and bonked horribly, but felt pretty good up 'til then.

In February I totalled 20 hours of cardio, and continued lifting twice a week.

In March, I really started to load up on cycling hours and focused on 5 minute and 20 minute intervals (the Leroy TT course, and the route 86 climb). I did 37 hours and also continued lifting. I did several group rides. My leg strength built through the month and got ahead of my cardio fitness. It seems like I can generate a lot of power for shorter intervals, 400W+ for 2-5 minutes, but it's not reliable at all. I'll crack at the end of some of those efforts.

In April, I'll continue the longer intervals and start mixing in more short, sharp efforts. I intend to focus on crit like races in the summer, so I need to do more high frequency efforts to simulate accelerating out of turns, but my aerobic base still needs work.

No comments:

Post a Comment