Thursday, July 29, 2010

the pain scale

I had another follow-up appointment today, yet more x-rays, and had the pin that's been immobilizing my middle finger removed. And when I write "pin", I mean something like a finishing nail that went from my finger tip through the bone into the middle bone. And when I write "removed", I mean pulled out with a pair of pliers.

Since I've had a bunch of post crash doctor visits, I've had to give a number to my pain level several times. However, pain is a relative thing, and when you're put on the spot to try to quantify it, it's difficult, especially if you're a geeky type of person.

A paper cut on your finger tip hurts like crazy, and in the moment it happens, I'd probably give it a "10" but of course it's not remotely life threatening even for a hemophiliac. When you're really seriously hurt, initially there's something that's more like a wave of trauma as you start to realize what happened, but then the mind wanders off into a  fantasy land where there's no blood, no trauma, and no pain. So even though that's a real "10" on the pain chart, you don't know it.

But sheesh, even though my finger was numb today, it definitely was an off-the-chart level of agony today.


But before I complain about that, there's nothing like a trip to the hospital to put one's troubles into perspective. While I was waiting for the docs, I overheard a conversation about a woman who had just been admitted for a completely shattered right arm and severed left arm. So, while I'm going to start racing again, that poor woman's life is completely changed.

2 comments:

Jim said...

I have a lot of respect for all the first responders and all the ER personnel at hospitals because of what they have to see and have to do. I can not imagine pulling up to an accident scene only to see mangled flesh and broken bones. They do it every day. Thank God for the work they do. Makes the pains I have experienced seem minor by comparison.
BTW, it always makes me wonder why motorcyclists go helmet-less or glove-less and ride with shorts. Think of your pain and multiply it by lot. Not too smart.

Kevin Kimmich said...

I think with motorcycles and cars there is an illusion of safety because it is so easy to control so much power, and people probably seriously over-estimate their abilities to maneuver out of dangerous circumstances.

I wonder how many cyclists would wear helmets if they weren't required in races?

Post a Comment