Tuesday, July 13, 2010

spin to win?

Almost every cycling book stresses the importance of spinning the pedals and developing a supple pedaling style. I've diligently worked on my pedaling technique over the years, but recently, I started to wonder about the value of that advice.

A while ago, I read an article about the reasons that chimpanzees are so much stronger pound for pound than humans. One reason is that chimps don't have the neural wiring for fine motor control. I don't think there's a direct application of that article to pedaling. The idea I take away from that is simpler motions can be more forceful than nuanced motions.

Another aspect of a simpler banging pedaling motion that could be beneficial is that the leg muscles can be relaxed during most of the pedal stroke even though they're used to generated a short, more intense burst of power. When spinning, many muscles are engaged through the entire pedal stroke.

Also, I've noticed many of the fast local riders bang the pedals instead of spin. And I've been paying attention to how riders in the Tour are pedaling. In stage 7, Juan Antonio Flecha was pacing the field up one of the climbs in the race, and his pedal stroke was an explosive motion through the horizontal pedal position rather than an even spinning motion. Even when Alberto Contador climbs out of the saddle, he pogos back and forth to drive the pedals down instead of lifting the pedal on the up stroke.

I was experimenting with this idea in the spring before I got splattered. I'm picking up where I left off, now, so I'll see if I can adjust my technique and pick up some more wattage.

1 comment:

Jim said...

I am probably in the minority but I have never been convinced that we can "change" our cadence or the way we pedal, at least for any extended time. We seem to "self select" a cadence based on the terrain, our fatigue, what we are trying to accomplish, etc.
Neither you or I will ever climb like a Contador, no matter how we ride. Regardless of cadence, I could never ride at the front of a field for miles and miles like a Voight. I simply am not strong enough.
I would say that cadence is a red herring and that we are better served by concentrating on proper power application and/or heart levels. Just my $.02.

Post a Comment