Saturday, July 10, 2010

not racing any time soon

I'm out of the cast, but my wrist is still relatively gimpy and the range of motion is probably about 50% of normal.  I cracked the scaphoid of my left wrist smack dab in the middle. That bone is notoriously slow to heal, and can turn into a total mess of complications, but mine seems to be doing pretty well so far. Hopefully after one or maybe two more ortho appointments, and yet another set of x-rays, this whole injury episode will be in the rear view mirror.

I rode the TOTV TT yesterday to see where my fitness is--the short answer is lousy. I really wasn't expecting much, though. I haven't managed to do any intense training since May 20th. Also, it's going to be a few weeks until I can use my arms to generate any force. I just sort of rest my left hand in a neutral position and carry my upper body weight on my right arm and back. It's actually not as uncomfortable as it sounds. But I'm stuck in one position on the bike using the same muscles all the time, so they wear out quickly.

I think I'll build back up in a few weeks, though. It doesn't seem like I lost much leg strength, just the endurance to crank for an extended period. I'll add some running into the mix and do plyos and weights too.

I got out today for an actual training ride on Sherman Road. I went west from Bass Lake over the rollers. I think that route is a pretty good measure of my fitness. When I'm in good shape, I can push it over all those little hills without cracking. Today, I made it half way up the first one and popped, but once I recovered, I managed to do some decent efforts.

I decided I won't be racing for a few weeks at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment